by Darden Smith | Oct 6, 2022
Saturday October 22, 2022
9:30am – 4:30pm
What makes a great song?
Practice. Craft. Telling the Truth.
Seems easy, right?
Actually, it takes time and hard work.
This workshop will cover:
• An overview of structure — Verse / Chorus / Bridge
• Clarity in lyrics — Get to the point!
• The importance of meter and form
• How to improve melody
• Building on your writing strengths
• Habits of a successful writing life
MORNING SESSION (9:30AM – 12:00PM)
This session will cover song structure, word choice, lyric clarity, melody and hooks.
AFTERNOON SESSION (1:30PM – 4:30PM)
In the afternoon we will spend time listening to your songs and looking for ways to make them cleaner, more to the point. After that we will talk about best practices for a writing life.
Limited to 12 participants
$175 (includes lunch from Veracruz Tacos)
**This workshop will be held in in my studio, which is on the 3rd floor of a building with no elevator. Sorry for the inconvenience!
by Darden Smith | Nov 9, 2019 | Events
Six String Ranch and Austin Vintage Guitars Present:
“Singing Your Story / Writing the Truth” — One-day songwriting workshop at 6-String Ranch
Saturday November 9, 2019
9:00am – 5:00pm
“Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought”
— Yip Harburg (“Somewhere Over the Rainbow”)
Everyone has a story. With a roadmap, a few tips and tricks, and practice, you can write songs that communicate, that tell the truth, both to yourself and to others.
And I want to help you make that happen.
All levels of writers are welcome at this one-day workshop.
If you’re there, I assume you are already writing songs and want to get better.
We will look at how you can improve one of your existing songs and each participant will write a new song by the end of the day.
The workshop will cover:
– The basics – Verse / Chorus / Bridge / Melody / Structure
– Clarity in lyric
– The importance of meter and rhyme scheme
– Starting a song / Finishing the song
– Writing from your life – the importance of telling your story
– Creating writing projects for yourself
– Habits of a successful writing life
– Recognizing and building on your strengths as a writer
Throughout the day, along with working with the group as a whole, I’ll spend one-on-one time with each participant to discuss your process and on how to improve and achieve your writing goals.
Any questions on the workshop? Please send me a note at email@example.com
Price – $260
Limited to 15 participants.